Dresses for Missions Update – 10-22-15

2nd Group Dress BlanksTwo weeks ago I was handed a pile of dresses and told that all they need is trim and lace. I’ve done some of this in the past so it wasn’t a big deal. I didn’t realize how many there were, though. I put five together and I still have seven more to go.

 

 

2nd Group Dress BlankThis is what the dress blanks look like when I get them. I have to cut the arm holes in them, trim the edges, sew the pockets for the ties, and then dress it up with lace and/or ribbons.

To be honest, I don’t mind getting these. It leaves me with the best, and most fun, part.

The only thing is that I don’t get to pick the fabric. I have to take what I’m given and figure out what I might have in my stash that will go with the current pick.

 

2nd Group Dresses 10-21-15Please forgive the color. I had to take the picture when it was dark outside so the light in my dining room kind of yellowed everything.

 

 

 

2nd Group Dress 1 10-16-15On this one I used the lace that looks like it was crocheted. Luckily I happened to have the orange lace that I used around the bottom cuff. Hobby Lobby had it on the clearance shelf, and though I didn’t know what I would use it for, I couldn’t pass it up. I’m glad that I didn’t!

 

 

 

 

2nd Group Dress 2 10-17-15This one was slightly more difficult because I don’t have any lace that goes with either the blue or the green that is in the cuff. I had some brown lace, which there is brown in the cuff, but I thought it might look a bit odd. So I added a thinner white lace on top. I think that it works. Maybe.

 

 

 

 

2nd Group Dress 3 10-18-15You can’t tell, but I wanted to tie in the pink of the cuff with the one pink strap that I made for the ties. So, again, I layered the lace at the neckline. I used a soft pink on the bottom and a cream lace on top to match the cream lace around the hem.

 

 

 

 

2nd Group Dress 4 10-19-15This one was a fun dress to trim. I used the bright pink for the arms and ties, and then a soft pink around the hem. I was tired of using lace at the neckline, though, and wanted something different. I had this silky pink ribbon so I sewed it on and then tied it. I think that it turned out really cute!

 

 

 

 

2nd Group Dress 5 10-20-15This fabric up top was so busy that I knew I wasn’t going to dress it up too much. The thing was that the ladies who made it had used a really bright green on the bottom that I didn’t think really went with the print on top. Luckily, though, I had picked up some lace off of Hobby Lobby’s clearance rack that matched the green in the print almost perfectly. It’s a wider lace so I decided to lay it over top of the cuff. This way you can still see the bright green underneath, but it mutes it a bit. Then I used a softer, wide lace at the neckline to pick up the white in the print. I’m fairly happy with this one.

 

 

Just seven more to go….

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Dresses for Missions, Sewing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s